If I have an international driver’s licence, am I exempt from having to obtain a Canadian provincial or French licence?

If you are moving to Canada or France from another country, you will need to exchange your licence within the timeframe set by your province.

The international driver’s licence is only a translation of the driver’s licence obtained in the issuing country. You must request it before leaving your home country. The international driver’s licence is required in addition to, not in place of, your original driver’s licence. To be valid, your international driver’s licence must always be paired with your original licence. If requested by police, you must present both documents.