Where can I go with a FLEX vehicle?
You can go anywhere in Canada or in the United States with a FLEX vehicle.
However, at the end of your trip, you must always release the car back inside the FLEX zone, respecting the rules for parking FLEX vehicles in your city.
Where can I park a FLEX vehicle?
During your trip, you are responsible for parking the vehicle legally and respecting signage like any other driver.
At the end of your trip, you must bring the vehicle back inside the FLEX zone (or to a FLEX drop-off point), and release it in a street parking spot that adheres to the FLEX parking rules for your city.
Please review the FLEX Parking Guide for your city of use for the specific regulations and privileges you should be aware of before making a FLEX trip.
Please note: If your FLEX vehicle is equipped with a parking permit and you are travelling to another city where FLEX service is available, you will not have access to the same parking privileges as granted in the vehicle’s city of origin (parking permits from one city are not valid in another).
What is a FLEX drop-off point and how do I use one?
FLEX drop-off points are designated parking spaces for releasing FLEX cars, located on or off street, generally located outside the FLEX Zone, or in areas where other parking options are limited.
Tips for using FLEX drop-off points:
- You can start or end a trip at a FLEX drop-off point, but using these spaces for temporary stopovers is not allowed.
- Parking availability is not guaranteed.
- To know how many spaces are available before heading to a drop-off point, to know if temporary stops are allowed there, or to find out if any temporary parking restrictions apply (for example, certain drop-off points could be closed for construction, or snow removal), check out the map on our mobile app or website.
- Parking icons on the map are clickable. Click on an icon to see additional information about specific FLEX drop-off points.
In Montreal :
Curbside drop-off points are exempt from street cleaning parking restrictions in effect from April 1 to December 1. Learn more.
How can I make a temporary stopover with a FLEX vehicle?
Keep the car key with you during stopovers and use it to lock and unlock the doors.
This also applies for vehicles with push-button start ignitions.
If you forget to remove the key from the key/card holder (in the glove box) during a temporary stopover, the trip auto-close mechanism will activate after a few seconds, meaning another member could see the vehicle as being available and drive away with it, along with anything you’ve left inside. Do not be distracted!
How do I end a trip with a FLEX vehicle?
To end a trip, you must:
- Plug the car key back into the key/card holder in the glove box, where you took it from at the start of your trip. Please note, it is the USB stick or the round plug attached to the car key (not the car key blade) that must be inserted. Ensure the gas cards have been returned as well. The red light on the key/card holder will go off once everything is properly inserted.
- Exit the car, close the doors, and in the mobile app, click on “End trip” in the reservation banner, or hold your key fob (or compatible RFID card) to the reader to lock the doors and re-arm the anti-theft device (see Please Note).
- Always double-check that the doors are locked before leaving the vehicle. If the vehicle didn’t lock properly, make sure everything is properly inserted in the key/card holder in the glove box. If the car still won’t lock, make sure all doors (including the tailgate, if applicable) are closed.
If you used the mobile app to access the vehicle, you will also need to use the mobile app to end your trip. It is not possible to use your key fob (or compatible RFID card) to lock the vehicle and end your trip if you used the mobile app to access the vehicle.
However, the opposite is possible: you can use the mobile app to end a trip started with your key fob (or compatible RFID card).
If you have any problems, please call us for assistance.
Purchase receipts for gas, washer fluid, or minor maintenance items such as new wiper blades, can be submitted via the mobile app.
To submit receipts:
If your reservation is ongoing:
- Click on “Purchase receipt” in the reservation banner.
If you reservation has ended:
- Select the appropriate trip under “My trips” and click on “Add/View receipts”
Once the expense is verified, the amount(s) indicated on the receipt will be reimbursed on your next monthly invoice. As a precaution, please keep your paper receipt until the credit has appeared on your invoice. Please note: only detailed purchase receipts, and not transaction statements, will be accepted.
Expenses for items other than gas exceeding $40 must be authorized by Communauto in advance.