1. Home
  2. Other topics
  3. Violations and Tolls

Violations and Tolls

  • What should I do if I receive a ticket during my trip?

    Members are responsible for any vehicle-related fine received during your booking period, whether it is a parking or traffic violation. If you receive a ticket during your trip, you will save a $20 administrative fee if you go ahead and pay it yourself.

    If you don’t pay it upfront, once we receive the infraction notice by mail, we will pay the ticket and apply the infraction amount to your account, along with the $20 administrative fee. For tickets received in France, you will receive an email with the necessary instructions depending on the type of ticket received.

  • What happens if the car I used is ticketed and/or towed?

    Whether it’s during your trip or at the end of it, you are responsible for making sure the car is parked in an authorized location. See details of the parking options available in your location for more details.

    If the vehicle is left in an area with parking restrictions and receives a ticket or is towed, you will be fully responsible for all costs incurred.

    Administrative fees will also be charged, depending on the circumstances. Please refer to the Penalties and other fees document on the Terms of Use page for further details.

  • What should I do if there is a ticket already on the car when I start my trip?

    If you find a ticket on the car at the start of your trip, there is no need to notify us. You can simply leave it in the glove box and our staff will retrieve it on their next inspection of the car.

    For municipal parking tickets, Communauto typically receives notices directly from the municipalities. We then attribute the parking ticket to the account of the member responsible for incurring the ticket.

  • Is it possible to contest a ticket that I have received?

    In Canada, this is generally not possible for parking tickets because these are typically attributed to the vehicle owner and not issued in the driver’s name (only the vehicle owner can legally enter a plea in this case). If, however, you receive a ticket in your name (such as for a speeding violation) then you are authorized to contest it.

  • Can I drive on a toll route or bridge with a Communauto vehicle?

    Yes. We will add any toll charges to your monthly invoice once they have been billed to us. We do not bill any additional administration fees for the use of toll roads or bridges.

    Some branches have toll road or toll bridge transponders in the vehicles for your convenience, as follows:

    HalifaxMACPASS PLUS – for the Halifax-Dartmouth bridges
    SW Ontario407 ETR Transponder – for the Highway 407 ETR, and provincial toll highways 407, 412, and 418
    Toronto407 ETR Transponder – for the Highway 407 ETR, and provincial toll highways 407, 412, and 418

    Please note that toll charges may not be invoiced during the same month as your trip, depending on when we receive the toll invoice.

Updated on September 26, 2022

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles